Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Rat Takes the Bait


Holy Crap! Mark Towner Exposes His Entire Subscriber List

I set the trap, and the rat took the bait.

As many of you Spyglass subscribers know, I had a run in with a local Blogger whose blogsite is called http://www.coolestfamilyever.com/

Mr. Harris called me a liar some time back about not having a substantial email list of subscribers who were receiving my free newsletter The Political Spyglass.

Mr. Harris has also taken the position that a person should not send an unsolicited email to anyone, and in fact is trying to get some legislator to run his legislation to fine people for sending out information, even political information which is all the Political Spyglass is.

Well I waited a while for things to settle down, and then baited my trap for Mr. Harris. I politely sent him and nearly 6,000 other persons who have received political newsletters, and other information an offer to subscribe to the Spyglass.

Mr. Harris could have just deleted the email but instead responded by agreeing to the subscription and opted in and then once a member downloaded all 6,000 email addresses. He then posts he will now disclose who these email addresses belong to.

Of the 6,000 email addresses Mr. Harris now has on his computer, this is his statement “Obviously, most major media outlets (including the generic inboxes) are on the list. A fair number of staff from the Salt Lake Tribune, Deseret Morning News and Herald Extra are on it. So are a bunch of state, city and school district employees. It also, however, includes a lot of employees from Zion's Bank, Deseret First Credit Union, American First Credit Union and a few other financial institutions. The best part? He also spams employees of the LDS Church including several folks at the MTC in Provo.”

What Mr. Harris fails to comment on is why these people who work for these different agencies, banks, school districts, etc are using employer owned equipment or taxpayer paid for equipment or services to receive political information. I would love for these people to explain how they can justify using their company or school district emails for obvious private reading.

Here is where the sting gets really good. I have Mr. Harris admitting his actions; I have a time stamped IP address of the download of not only Mr. Harris but all you other jokers who downloaded the file as well.

I created a special site www.thespyglass.us with full tracking software. I know who you all are now, I know your IP address, and if any of these email addresses are released, I will publicly disclose all the people who downloaded the list.

Mr. Harris, your own words will bite you in the ass
“Then there's his insane claim of having over 10,000 subscribers. Uh oh… a quick search on the FeedBlitz website shows he has a scant 3,947 subscribers, nowhere near the puffed up numbers he claims. (I'd deep link the search, but I don't see a way to do that. Just do a search for "spyglass" and you'll see him, front and center.) I'm not the only one calling him on this BS either; Part of the Plan took him to task on it as well.”

Do you really think I’m that stupid Mr. Harris, now who has their head up their own ass now? So if you are contacted by your employer, supervisor, etc about using computer resources on the clock, you can thank Mr. Harris.

Mark E. Towner
Publisher, The Spyglass

6 comments:

Brett Garner said...

You are a liar Mark. Just stop spamming people. You arguments are ridiculous. There is a difference between sending someone personally an email, unsolicited, and presuming to sign thousands of people up to an email list. You attack Jesse for pointing out that YOU spammed people on their work accounts! How do you know any of these people use their email for anything but work until you spammed them? Your duplicity is unbelievable.

Jason The said...

Possibly the most entertaining (and not to mention immature) post I have ever had someone forward to my inbox in quite some time.

Thanks for your continued efforts, Mark, to keep us in guffaws with your off the wall antics, high-jinx, shenanigans, and good ol' fashioned lack of common sense.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. What exactly did you prove here?

Frank Staheli said...

I agree with the rest of the commenters--especially anonymous.

C'mon Mark. It's a schoolgirl prank you've pulled at the very best, even if you look at it from your perspective. Why do you relish losing everyone's respect and picking fights with everyone?

Get off their cases. Your tactics definitely didn't make it into the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Anonymous said...

Mark Towner, "Party of One!"

Fe2O3 said...

Geez Mark, I know you took MY e-mail address off of the old Yahoo GOP group you used to moderate. You or someone else then at "Utah Policy Daily" added my address to that mailing list. Then later on I start getting notices about "The Spyglass" and then just a day or two ago a "Welcome to the SpyGlass email list" message pops up in my inbox; which was more than an opt-in because I also got a post from a "subscriber" wanting to know who set the list up. You aren't helping matters by trying to "blame-shift" the cause of the problem.

Rusty