Monday, November 05, 2007

Since Nobody Really Reads Jesse's Blog Anyway

I thought I would help him out. And by the way Jesse, my Internet Service Provider is Comcast.

In the wake of Comcast's throttling, er, "delaying" of BitTorrent connections, it seems like all hell has broken loose for the mammoth cable operator. Not only are they facing lawsuits, consumer complaints to the FCC and some seriously peeved members of Congress, but they'll also have to contend with a re-energized network neutrality debate.

Throughout the whole process, Comcast has made itself look worse and worse. First they denied. Then when the AP caught them, they tried to spin it and claim that they were "delaying" instead of outright blocking. Then when an internal memo got leaked detailing their official policy, they started on a witch-hunt to find and terminate the responsible employee. So to recap, Comcast thinks that good PR consists of deny, spin, fire whomever talked. It's a Reality Distortion Field™ that would make Steve Jobs proud.

Since the story broke, Wall Street has been pounding the company, sending their stock price to a 52-week low. Even prior to their dismal earnings report on the 25th, the stock had already dropped about 25% from it's 52-week high. What's to blame? Probably their poor customer service driving customers away to services like Verizon's FIOS and a lack of dial-up customers to continue their growth. Industry observers have said it's time for them to start dropping prices, but that doesn't jive with their plans to jack up television rates even higher.

Do you hear that, Comcast? That is the sound of inevitability. That is the sound of your irrelevance.

11 comments:

Mark E. Towner said...

Full disclosure Mr. Harris? You indicated you had no connection to UTOPIA, care to clarify your position?

Jesse Harris said...

None needed. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do not work for or receive any kind of compensation from any company or organization affiliated with UTOPIA. Can't get any clearer than that.

And thanks for the offer, but I'm doing fine on my own. Around 50 voluntary subscribers and 225 or so regular readers is okay with me. Keep chasing that dream of relevance, Mark. You just might catch it someday. I'll even give you some pointers if you like.

Jason Bourne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark E. Towner said...

I removed Jason's comment as it may have gone too far, but it does bring up an interesting point. Since you don't get paid for anything you do Jesse, how do you live, pay bills?

Jesse Harris said...

I know it's a crazy concept, but some of us have, you know, regular jobs and such.

Captain Jack Sparrow said...

What do you consider a regular job mate?

Jason The said...

What a deranged post conversation!

I couldn't even focus on the information this post may have to provide me (although that is a doubtful assumption) because of the sheer weirdness that is watching Jesse argue against three Mark Towner personalities.

So Dear Jason Bourne, Spyglass, Captain Jack Sparrow, and anyone else rattling around inside this ethically challenged and content lacking blog: This is weird!

It's also kind of juvenile.

Jesse Harris said...

I was thinking the same thing, Jason. Especially since each of these characters links back to Mark's various blogs. And there's something like 6 Jason Bournes authorized to post on Voucher News.

I think the evidence of crazy here speaks for itself.

Mark E. Towner said...

The fact that you guys are spending any time at all reading this says something!

For the record for the final time. Mark Towner posts as Mark Towner or Spyglass, Jason Bourne et al is not me, ask Rob Miller for proof of my claim. Captain Jack Sparrow is also not Mark Towner. Also ask Rob Miller how he called me personally to assist him with an internet Blog problem, and was happy to help. Maybe if you guys could get your respective heads out of your asses you could actually see the light of day.

Mark Towner

Jason The said...

Even if I pulled my respective head out of my ass, and despite your helpfulness, I'd still find this comment thread weird and juvenile.

Jesse Harris said...

Just wanted to say thanks for both of the visitors you directed to FreeUTOPIA... even though they both came from people who had already visited. I suppose it's the thought that counts, eh?