Thursday, April 26, 2007

Show respect for vice presidency


TODD D. WEILER
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me. All I ask is that you respect me as a human being."
-- Jackie Robinson

BYU students should be honored to have the second most powerful man in the world speak at their graduation ceremony today.
There is a certain amount of respect and decorum that accompanies the office of vice president of the United States of America -- no matter who happens to occupy the office.


If the world is truly BYU's campus, then BYU ought to be a gracious host when it comes to visit.
Several years ago, I attended a convention where President Clinton was invited to speak. Although I disagreed with his politics and his morals (this was post-Lewinski), I was genuinely honored to be in the presence of a sitting president. It was an experience that I will simply never forget.


I did not try to shout him down, carry a sign, or turn my back as he spoke. Instead, I listened to his remarks and applauded when appropriate. I respected the office that he held, and treated him accordingly.


The thought of intentionally trying to show disrespect to an invited guest never even occurred to me.


Read the Entire Story.....




Well Said Todd
Captain Mark

No comments: