Thursday, January 11, 2007

Salt Lake County Mayor Needs to GO!


Lets eliminate the confusion. How about Salt Lake County Executive?

I never could understand why we have a County Mayor. Ask any voter in the county who their Mayor is and they might actually know their City Mayor’s name but County Mayor (Who)?

When Carrie and I and our 5 daughters transplanted from Seattle via Eagle River Alaska to Utah, we were confused by this County Mayor thing. I asked the question of someone at the first GOP function what exactly did the County Mayor do, and they replied they were the Chief Executive of the county. Well I understood this notion well becaue in Washington State each County (the largest being King) the elected official to run the county was called County Executive. This explains what the elected official is actually doing, with little questions.

The problem we have in Salt Lake County is we already have a bunch of Elected Mayors. And these Mayors are representing their respective cities and towns. And guess what folks, the cities interests and the Counties interests are not the same.

So lets fix this now, right now in fact and start referring to Mayor Peter Corroon as County Executive Corroon and get somebody up at the Legislature to change the name in the statute.

And since Peter has not plastered his name over all the County Buildings like the last Mayor, all he will have to do is get some new letter head and some .jpeg changes for the website.

Additionally I feel the need for 3 at large seats on the council to be redundant and was a bone thrown to the former commissioners. I would propose that in the next census in 2010, we eliminate these three positions, draw truly representative districts and save us taxpayers some money….

Any thoughts….

The Spyglass

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Republicans are just pissed off that MAYOR Corroon is a Democrat. Long live the Mayor

Mark E. Towner said...

Is Peter Corroon a Democrat? According to many politically active Democrats and Newspaper reporters (oh I repeat myself), Peter is a DINO. Well according to some of my Republican friends who work with him on many issues, he's DINO-MITE to the GOP who can't think of anybody with a high enough Q rating to knock him out of office. Funny how he looks alot like Matheson.

Bradley Ross said...

Sounds like a great idea to me. I wonder how much such a name change would actually cost. I don't think it is important enough that I would want to spend much money on it.