Friday, September 29, 2006

UPD Blog Warch by Golden Webb


Blog Watch
The House Democratic Caucus blog asks: "Governor Huntsman is considering calling a Special Session to have the legislature deal with the boundaries for a 4th Congressional District. What are your thoughts on this?" (see also here, here, here, and here)... In response to this Utah Politics post on the power and effectiveness of blogs, Part of the Plan says: "I am sick and tired of candidates ringing my doorbell and calling me in the middle of a meal or good football game or movie on TV. I am a visual person, anyway, so if you want to educate me, give it to me in writing. A mail flyer is fine, but I am an internet person. I get my news online, and I read blogs. ... [M]aybe that's just me. But I think it is inevitable that electronic media, of which the internet is just a part, will eventually replace the old traditional methods, as more and more people mature and become more comfortable with emerging communications systems. The biggest impediment in the United States right now is the limited availability of broadband. People with dialup and lower-speed DSL just don’t read that many blogs. That’s changing slowly, of course, and for the better"... On the same subject, Rep. Craig Frank says: "Discounting the notion that newspapers are the source of all truth ... I am convinced inexpensive, readily available personal media resources are the next big advancement in setting the record straight. In less than a blink of an eye an individual can advance his/her message to the masses without being misquoted, partially quoted, or taken out of context. And all this is available to the common, ordinary man relatively quick and inexpensive through the wonderful world of electronic, personalized communication -- the Internet. Do you really believe the old-fashioned media doesn’t feel threatened by this? (They’re still using offset printing.)"... Capital Carnage says: "Rumor has it that former State Democratic party leader Meghan Holbrook is gearing up for a run for the mayor of Salt Lake City. I had the privilege of working with Mrs. Holbrook during the last Session, and I [can't] stress enough how impressed I was with her. I admit I don’t know much about her politically, but in all my interactions with her she was a class act"... At Out of Context, Thomas Burr notes: "Human Events, a conservative newspaper in Washington, profiled 26 of the top Senate races in the country in its current edition. There are actually 33 Senate races this cycle, but some of them were not profiled, the magazine says, because 'the incumbents do not face strong challengers and recent polls have not been conducted' in battles for 'Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Kent Conrad (D.-N.D), Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) and Trent Lott (R-Miss.).' By my math, that leaves one senator missing: Utah's Orrin Hatch. Maybe the newspaper decided that one wasn't even interesting enough to officially declare its intention not to cover"... At Evangelicals for Mitt, Charles Mitchell says: "If Gov. [Mitt] Romney wins [the '08 presidential race] (or even comes close), Mormonism will come under more scrutiny than ever before. ... We get e-mails all the time from Mormons who claim their faith is misunderstood -- in fact, I think one is even putting together a documentary meant to clear things up for us. Such things will probably escalate -- as will efforts by others to get at what Mormonism really is. And you know what? If that does happen, I am supremely confident that the truth will come out. And the truth is that, well, the Gospel is the Gospel. The Book of Mormon is not. Why would we not think that if the two are contrasted, the truth will be seen as the truth? If it is really the truth (which it is) and if it is really better (which it is), why should we not believe that it will stand on its own and trump all comers?" (see also here, here, here, here, and here).

No comments: