Sunday, June 25, 2006

How Congress can protect our SSN# from identity theft.


For those of us who use the internet to pay bills, order pizza, and balance our checkbooks (ok I admit it, I never balance my account, I just look to see what checks have cleared, add the outstanding amounts, and hope there is enough to clear all the checks) we all are familiar with the security code or PIN.

My suggestion for congress is to create a SSN# pin creation that will allow each social security card holder add a personal PIN to their number. Then whenever an authorized request is made for this number, you must also know the PIN. Without the PIN, the number is useless. Banks and credit cards use PIN’s all the time and folks have gotten used to the practice. College students requesting student loans must apply for a special PIN to electronically sign their applications.

I would encourage the Congress to get this solution implemented ASAP, so the millions of vets and other workers of America can feel safer about their personal, private information.

No comments: